101 Things I Learned® in Fashion School
A guide to surviving and thriving in fashion school, from an award-winning fashion designer and illustrator.
Success in fashion school requires more than a passion for fashion; it calls for the student to understand the cultural forces that shape what we wear and why we wear it; to develop a wide range of practical, aesthetic, and intellectual skills; and to work hands-on. This accessible guide assists the aspiring fashion designer on this journey with unique, illustrated lessons on such topics as:
- How to identify the target customer, set priorities, select fabrics, and integrate details
- How to measure the human form, cut fabric, and pivot a dart
- Why you haven’t designed a garment if you don’t know how it will be made
- How the nuclear bomb dropped on Hiroshima reshaped our understanding of fashion
- Illustration fundamentals, including proportions, poses, lighting, and rendering
- Practical information on the industry, including key terms, who does what, and the workings of the fashion calendar
Written by an experienced fashion designer, illustrator, and instructor, 101 Things I Learned in Fashion School is an essential resource for beginning fashion students, recent graduates, experienced professionals, and anyone looking for a deeper understanding of how and why the clothes we wear—or choose not to wear—are designed and made.